Saturday, April 11, 2020

Isolation Gratification: Day 29

Not going to lie.  I would much rather be spending our weekend with extended family.  We were suppose to be in California ending our spring break there with Williams baptism.  Or we would have  either been going down to Teasdale rolling our eggs and having a family picnic in Capitol Reef or going to Bart's parents for a yummy Easter dinner and an egg hunt with the cousins.     But we still had an enjoyable Easter together as a family.


My girls helped me put together these baskets for the young women in my ward.   I had each of the yw leaders fill an easter egg with a treat and their favorite scripture and delivered them to their porch. 






My kids woke up early and were surprised that their Easter baskets were gone from the mantel where they left them the night before.  Here's the conversation I heard from my bed.

S:  Aaron the Easter Bunny took our Easter baskets.  How rude
A:  Oh well lets just watch a show
S:  (I imagine he glanced over under the table and saw Emily's)  Aaron! Emily's is right here.  Wow but ours are still gone.   The Easter Bunny is so rude.
A:  (went into the bathroom to use it)   Hey Spencer you might want to come see what's in the bathroom
S:  (ran into the bathroom and did he loud intake of breath whenever he gets excited)  What!!!!  The Easter Bunny gave me a little soccer lego set!! (its really a play mobil picnic set with a little soccer ball but he calls playmobil his little lego sets)


My kids led by Jane really wanted me to do an Easter egg hunt for them in my backyard.  It was too late to for the Easter Bunny to go tromping around the backyard when he arrived in the middle of the night so the Easter Bunny instead of putting candy in their baskets only put a game for the girls and a lego set for the boys and gave me instructions to fill the eggs and hide them once the kids had helped their dad in the yard.    I'm so glad the Easter bunny understands how to motivate my kids.


In their downtime the girls enjoyed playing Uno and speed on Emily's new mini deck of cards and the boys busied themselves putting together and playing with their sets.






I'm surprised at how fun it was to do our own little Easter egg hunt in our backyard.   I mean where else will you find a boy in his Santa PJ's gathering eggs.  The cutest moment was when Spencer darted off to grab another egg lost a few from his bucket.  He turned around and saw the scattered eggs and as he gathered them up like he just found them for the first time said  "Wow look at all of these eggs mom.  I'm a good finder."   Bart also hid one way up high on our deck and it took the kids multiple attempts swinging sticks to get it down.  When it finally fell into Emily's hands she opened it up and saw it was full of jelly beans she said "All that work for some nasty jelly beans geez mom why can't you be like Grandma Becky and hide some money in a few?"












Bart showing a little favoritism giving some hints to Spencer about where to find a missed egg




We had our favorite Papa John's pizza for dinner and then played some more Uno.



What I've learned and am grateful for.......  Is that it's possible to enjoy Easter with just my little family. 

1 comment:

  1. I know your children will look back at this time and remember the good. All the good you did to help them feel loved and special. I miss being with everyone at Easter, too!

    ReplyDelete