Thursday, May 31, 2018

2 down... 2 to go....

There should be a universal rule that big time consuming projects should not be assigned in May.  I'm obviously not in charge because year after year our Elementary school continues to have the 3rd grade participate in the simple machines make your own miniature golf course project.    When Emily was in 3rd grade she came home one day and announced her miniature golf course project was due tomorrow.  Wait What?    I knew nothing about this project and Emily failed to give me the flyers that were sent home weeks before with explanations.  So we moved into crisis stress mode and jimmy rigged  a  dishwasher box with some glued on fisher price people gave her a golf club and showed up to school to see all these elaborate golf courses and here sat Emily's pulled together at the last minute. It was way to embarrassing to even take a picture of.  Luckily Emily is never ashamed about anything but I'm sure she noticed the difference and I think it served a valuable lesson about procrastinating.

Fast forward 3 years and all school year in the back of my mind I'm dreading the every looming project ahead. Sometime in April  Jane dutifully brought the flyer home and began to talk about doing her project.  I dutifully hand the project over to Bart knowing he's far more equipped for such projects.   So Jane and he spent way too much time scouring the internet for ideas.  Jane not liking any idea almost made Bart give up on helping but somehow or somewhere Jane came up with the Rub a dub Tub with rubber duckies.   So Bart was off to a collision shop's trash where he knew large cardboard boxes sat and he and Jane cut, glued, taped, glued again and measured it to fit the right specifications for a simple inclined plane miniature golf course.   



I wasn't totally off the hook.  I became the mom find me the supplies lady.  Lucky for me we have tons of paint at work and a dollar store close by. 


This project took days.  Mostly because we have a detailed notice every little detailed Richards man in our house.  When I noticed he was putting on a second coat of paint I said "Bart you know this will most likely go straight to the trash when it's all over with right".    Jane the things have to be just so so girl gathered up every rubber ducky in our house and painstakingly picked out the ones with absolutely no blemishes.  Again I mentioned to her that she knows this will most likely go in the trash when it's over right?   Well when the time came to glue the rubber duckies on they were no where to be found.  I suggested using all the rejected rubber duckies, we have a lot of them mind you, but she would not have anything not perfect on her project.  After an evening of weepy and wailing I succumbed to a trip to wal mart to shop for brand new duckies.  We arrived and walked all the way around the store looking for ducks with no  luck.   After our second trip through the bath supply isle I said a silent prayer that if Walmart had any rubber duckies He would lead us to them.  I told Jane we would check the baby isle one more time and if we couldn't find them she would have to use the ducks we have at home.  So we started walking toward the opposite side of the store and down an isle Jane out of the corner of her eye caught sight of a bag full of ducks.   Hallelujah!!!  I told Jane that I said a silent prayer that Heavenly Father would help us and he helped Jane spot the rubber ducks.    Jane responded with "With all the billions of people on the Earth how does Heavenly Father have the time to help us?"  I said I have no idea I just know he loves her enough that he did.   Happily we headed home and Jane and Bart finished up the project.   


Jane was so proud of her project and loved handing out candy to all those who attempted to sink the ball in the hole. 


I still hate this project more than any project given thus far as a parent but it was fun to see Jane and Bart work together and bring Jane's idea to life.     They did such a good job and the thing was so sturdy, the benefit to my detailed oriented husband, that I decided to store it away for another 3 years just in case Aaron comes home on a Thursday night and says "I've got a miniature golf course due tomorrow".   If that happens I'll gladly dust the thing off and say "done" here you go son without any guilt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment