Tim (carpet cleaning guy): Great I'd be happy to clean the rugs as well and move any furniture if you'd like.
Collette: I think I moved everything out of the way but I haven't gotten the chance to move this pink chair. That would be great if you could move it out of the way.
Tim: That's aaaa quite the chair.
Collette: Yes I know. Let me tell you about this chair...
It was the summer of 2005 and Bart's grandma "Nana" had just pasted away a few weeks earlier. Bart returned one evening from helping clean out his Nana's stuff. He walked in the house and excitingly reported he had brought home his inheritance, if you'd like to call it that. Most people probably inherit from their grandma jewelry, money, sentimental knickknacks, or possibly their grandma's house. Well Bart and his mom proceeded to haul in this pink armchair. I looked at this chair with as many different shades of pink as there are in a baby girl's clothing section of a department store and thought, that can't possibly be coming into my house. Pauline was continuously apologizing for this chair. She suggested that she could reupholstered it but Bart stopped all talk saying it was perfect the way it was. I sarcastically asked Bart how come he was the lucky one to come away with this chair, you know the competition I'm sure was fierce for it. He said lucky for me he saved it from the DI pile. It now sits in my little girls' room. The other night I overheard Bart asking Emily is she was ready to read stories in her room. Emily said "No, I want to read stories on your bed" Bart then said "Oh but I want to read stories in your room on the pink chair. Do you know it's a very special chair that belonged to my grandma. When I would go and visit her I would always sit in the pink chair. Now it is in our house so we can still feel close to her." With a comment like that I guess the chair can stay, but it may need a makeover someday.
Um, ya. That's quite a chair. Well, its sweet that Bart likes it and that it reminds him of his grandma. And at least you have two girls, it'd be a lot worse if you had all boys!
ReplyDeleteCollette! I love the hot pink brightness of that chair. Just looking at it makes me wonder... the story of the chair- did his grandma go pick it out- where was it? Did she keep it in the main living room? Did her husband buy it for her as a joke? Either way, I really love it and it is quite girly. Glad to have found your blog- and glad to be able to catch up on your life once in a while! I love the names Emily & Jane- hope you are all happy and doing well.
ReplyDelete