
This morning I was entering some of my favorite recipes into a website that my mom is making into a ">family cookbook . As I was entering this recipe for mint brownies it brought back the memory of the first time Bart and I talked to each other.
It was New Year's Eve and I was with my roommate Holly Buck and friend Tammy Miner. We didn't have a lot of plans so we headed to a party that this lady in our ward was hosting. When we arrived the only person there, beside the host, was this tall handsome man, that I recognized from the ward. He came out of the house and carried Tammy,who has C.P., out of the van and into the house. He's always been super nice like that!
I had a New Year's goal to not eat any chocolate for an entire year. Bart had brought these yummy mint brownies and I devoured them like an alcoholic the night before lent. Bart remembers thinking there is no way this girl is going to make it a day without chocolate let alone a whole year. (I proved him wrong and went an entire year without chocolate. I ended it 12:01 AM on Jan 1st with Suzanne's amazing "Get a date" brownies.) Needless to say my first conversation with Bart was over mint brownies.
Here's the recipe:
3 squares margarine
3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
6 eggs (mix 2 at a time)
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp mint
Frosting:
1 square soft margarine or butter
2 tablespoon milk
3 cup powder sugar
1 drop green food coloring
1 small capful of mint
Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs two and a time. Blend in flour and cocoa and add mint. Cook at 350ยบ for 18 minutes.
Mix frosting ingredients and spread on cooled brownies. You can also melt chocolate chips and butter and spread on top as well as sprinkle chocolate shavings or drizzle chocolate sauce.
*As I was asking Pauline for this recipe she told me that in Elementary, every Friday she would make a pan of these for Bart to take to school and he would sell them to teachers and other students. She said she has no idea how much he made but he would always come home with an empty pan. I think Bart has always been an entrepreneur at heart!
Yummm, mint brownies. That's VERY impressive you went a whole year without chocolate! I tried going without chocolate once, but I was not so ambitious as you. My goal I think was 2 months and I actually did it! The end date was my birthday, so you better believe there was a TON of chocolate at that party.
ReplyDelete