Soon after the announcement at last Fall Conference about the bicentennial celebration of the 1st vision Bishop Sackewitz texted me and said "I've been thinking about youth conference in Feb and feel we should center it around the 1st vision."
From there plans took form. The 2nd counselors wife served a mission in Palmyra and was asked to give a fireside the first night we arrived. She bore a powerful witness of Joseph Smith and shared some great mission stories which later that night the yw in the cabin expressed how memorable they were. She recited from memory "The Standard of Truth quote from Joseph Smith"
The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done. Joseph Smith Jr.
It stirred something deep in my soul and we memorized and quoted it each morning during my mission. I wanted to stand up beside her and finish the quote but instead sat quietly and did it in my head. The rest of the weekend I kept thinking about how lucky I was to serve a mission and proclaim what happened to Joseph Smith that day and think how it really is our duty to keep the work progressing.
The next day we played a few different games such as "Oh the wrapture" "Nailed it, 1st vision style" Gospel topic Telestrations as big groups.

We also broke off into snow shoeing, cross country skiing, obstacle course and hiking groups throughout the day.
Mary one of my advisors mentioned hiking up to Stuart Falls. Originally we were going to take off alone together in the morning while the youth were busy snow shoeing and skiing but then the Bishopric mentioned they would like to come along and there was some free time space in the late afternoon when anyone could I was a little apprehensive fearing the slickness of ice and snow but it ended up being a delightful hike. I was so proud of a couple of "couch potato" girls who wanted to come with us. One of them discovered her love of being outside and was a natural mountain goat. The other one was hooked with the lure of a frozen waterfall but realized she was in over her head a bit but slowly plunged along and made it. I felt so proud of her for completely something hard just like a felt proud of a few of the yw who braved the obstacle course despite their fears of heights. It's great to be a leader and see this new generation grow. Its the most rewarding experience to watch growth in others especially as a mother and a leader.































Man, how inspired was this?? I don't know if we'll get to have our youth conference this summer. I'm so glad y'all had yours in the winter. I love the theme and all the activities you did. That pic of you with the mountain behind you is stunning!
ReplyDelete