Shhh.... don't tell anyone but I'm lucky enough to have the best calling in the church. I guess I'm a tween at heart (I can happily binge on a Disney series with the best of them) and I'm a go big or go home type of planner so combine that and I absolutely love pulling together activities that make these girls giggle with delight. Last night we did a Fancy Nancy etiquette dinner. I made and sent out these "fancy" invitations through the mail (I'm sure they were excited to get something addressed to just them in the mail) with instructions to come dressed in your "fanciest" which in 8-11 year old girls vocabulary means dress up clothes and forbidden makeup.
I didn't take pictures of the table but in true fancy Nancy style we had mismatched flower tablecloths, flowers and boa's strung about with little tea lights. We had the girls come sit down and then we took the different age groups and took their pictures together. Here is Jane and Emily's groups.
Then the girls got a lesson on how to properly set a table and then had them set their own setting with tea cups I found from the DI and plates we had them previously decorate and personalize. We then proceeded with a "fancy" meal of salad, spaghetti, french bread, and little bunt cakes for desert. We taught them things like pass to the right and wait until everyone gets their food before you even touch your utensil and eat. That was a stretch to see girls just stare at their food eagerly waiting for 20+ girls to pass the food around. Throughout the dinner we mentioned things like politeness and how to strike up a dinner conversation. Overall it was a success. You know it went well when every single girl came plus extras from the neighborhood and you get texts from all the moms saying "so and so came home with their tea cup, flower and plate and won't stop talking about how much fun it was".
![]() |
| Perhaps the best part is I got to act a little silly with these two!! |




So fun! I love this idea.
ReplyDelete