As my kids and I drive up to our house, I see this big firetruck parked in front of it.
Instantly I think Oh no! Who are they helping. As I get closer I see a couple of fireman on their bellies reaching down the storm drain, with a few of my neighbors huddling around. My heart drops. They must be saving one of the neighborhood kids that crawled down the storm drain. I approach the scene and to my relief my neighbor tells me that they are rescuing the neighborhood ducklings.
A little history about the ducks. In my neighborhood each spring a mama and papa duck comes back to our neighborhood and have a paddling of ducklings. They are like the neighborhood pets. All the kids love following them around the yards. They especially like our pond in our front yard. My kids are fascinated with the ducklings.
I chuckled as I left the scene thinking "It's great to live in a place where the only thing fireman have to do are save ducks from storm drains." Maybe that is why last year Draper was in the top 25 best small cities to live in according to Money magazine. (something I found out on a Emily's class "walk around Draper field trip")
Later that day my kids go out to jump on the trampoline. They immediately come back in a panic because all the ducklings have fallen under the tramp and the mama duck is quacking but they can't get out. Bart comes to the rescue and with the help from downstairs Jeff, they reunite the squirmy ducklings with their mama.







I wish we had some neighborhood ducks! Too bad they fell under your tramp, good thing you were home!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, they're so cute!!! I would never get anything done - I'd be forever looking out the window!
ReplyDeleteJane's huge eyes when she told me about it at dinner on Sunday were priceless.
ReplyDelete