A few weeks ago I took my girls to the movie "Brave." After the movie I left feeling let down. Sure it was a good feel good movie about developing a good relationship with your mother I'll give it that. I hated that the 3 male suitors were either a stoner, big and dumb or insecure and scrawny. The girl instantly rejects all of them to maintained her independence. I couldn't tell why I was disturbed? Was it my chick flick side that likes movies with at least a little love interest in them.
Fast forward a couple weeks and I'm reading my girls a new Dora book. We come to a part where the knight is fighting a dragon. I stumble over the words because it referred to the knight as a she. I read it again and sure enough the knight is a girl.
That's when it hit me why I was so disturbed. I started thinking about recent popular young adult books and prove me wrong but all but Harry Potter has a girl as the main character. So what's up with society? Do we no longer celebrate men as the "knight in shining armor" that comes to the rescue. In fact I think they are often portrayed as less than equal idiots. Don't get me wrong I'm all about women's rights but I guess now that I am about to have a boy coming to this world I'd hope that male confidence and strength can be encouraged along side that of women's.
Besides I don't want to start having to slay dragons. I feel like I've already got too much on my plate.

I have felt the same way for a very long time! In fact, I remember first feeling this way back when Everybody Loves Raymond was first airing. I hated that Ray was always portrayed as the dumb dad who couldn't do anything right. I miss The Cosby Show!
ReplyDeleteI love your last sentence. You're right. Women have too much on their plate. Men really are pretty amazing, too! Who else would pay the bills and take out the trash?
ReplyDeleteAmen! When was the last time you saw men in commercials or any kind of tv show/sitcom portrayed in a non-Homer-Simpson light? Why are we making acceptable for our boys to be stupid and sit back because the women are going to take care of everything? Why do we make them feel like they are chauvinistic pigs if they take charge or, heaven forbid, show a bit of chivalry? I'm like you - I do NOT want my boys thinking that in order to show equality with women, they sit back and let women take charge and end up doing everything.
ReplyDeleteWow - could my comment get any longer? Obviously I have a few issues with how men and women are portrayed these days.....