


I ran the Salt Lake City Half Marathon this morning. I decided to just do it although I haven't been able to train the way I would have liked due to a nasty groin pull that is taking forever to heal. I stayed awake most of the night with anxiety about the race and then had anxiety because I wasn't sleeping. Well the first 6-7 miles was a breeze. I felt really good and was making good time but then my knee started acting up. I think it was all the down hill. Then my groin pain decided to make it's appearance. I was actually surprised that it took it 8 miles to come back. So now I have two bummed legs and 5 miles to go. It was the most painful 5 miles I have ever ran. The most frustrating was I actually felt my endurance was really good but my legs wouldn't cooperate. Once I got to Liberty Park I had this thought, if there were only a way to get a hold of Bart I think I'd have him come and pick me up. Ironically I turned the corner and was surprised to see Bart. Even more ironic was that seeing he and my girls gave me this surge of energy and will power to continue and finish. I saw them again on State Street which almost made me cry. Toward the finish I must have looked really bad because people were trying to cheer me on saying things like "Oh you poor thing keep going you are almost there" I know they meant well but I really just wanted to flip them all off. Anyway I did finish! Hooray!! I saw this shirt that sums up my feelings and the race "I might be slow and come in last but at least I finished, which is better than starting and not finishing, which starting and not finishing is better than not starting at all."
Great job Collette! I am very impressed that you finished without being able to train for that many weeks.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Collette! I am so proud of you! What a huge accomplishment. I bet Bart & the girls are beaming with pride!
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed that you did it! 1/2 marathons are tough and such a great accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Collette!! I love the fact that seeing your husband and daughters gave you the boost you needed to make it to the end - so much like real life, huh?
ReplyDeleteWay to go Collette! I'll wait a couple of weeks before I get you signed up for your next one:)
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed you were able to finish! Good for you - I think I would have just asked Jeff to pick me up. You're my inspiration to train for one next year.
ReplyDeleteYay you did it! That's really awesome. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteyou are AMAZING!!!
ReplyDeleteDo you know you spelled "barely" wrong?
ReplyDelete