Friday, April 23, 2010

Super Shopping


Lately a lot of people have been trying to persuade me to take up the art of coupon shopping with promises of great deals. I haven't shown much interest until my Relief Society President committed me to simply add a local blog that "does all the work for you" to my google reader and watch it for a while and see how it works. I figured I could do that much. Within days I was sucked into the world of deals. A post arrived in my google reader about how to get diapers for pennies at K-mart. I also put together my own super deal noticing a sale at Rite Aid, an online coupon from Rite Aid and a stack of coupons my sister in law Sarah gave me for Bart's one and only cereal he eats every morning, Honey Bunches of Oats. My girls and I arrive at K-mart with my coupons and instructions from the Utah Deal Diva and load up my two packages of diapers in my cart. I proceed to the check out and the nice check out lady looked at me like she had never seen a coupon in her life. I explain I printed them off of the K-Mart website. She fiddles around trying to get it to work and finally just grudgingly gives me the $10.00 off. So I leave the store feeling proud that I got such a good deal on diapers.
Next stop Rite Aid only to discover they are completely out of Bart's cereal. I know sometimes they will do a rain check when they run out so I go to the counter and ask the lady. She said that wouldn't be a problem and then I lay down all my coupons and in a confused panic she calls the manager. The manager arrives and is completely bewildered by the predicament and calls some boss guy from in back of the store. He was not the slightest bit happy to be dealing with this "problem" spurting out comments like, she expects to get these on a "Friday". I stood there silent and a little embarrassed to be the "coupon" lady holding up the line. Finally he waves his hands and says just go get any cereal and we'll give you the sale price. So I cart my girls back and load up on 12 boxes of the expensive $5.00 cereal we never buy like Raisin Bran Crunch and I didn't think twice when Emily dumped some Lucky Charms in the cart. I head back and the same manager walks by does a double take on my cart and says how many coupons do you have. I fumbled with my words as he waves me on saying whatever. So I left with 12 boxes of "expensive" cereal for $17.00 feeling emotionally drained but proud of my accomplished super shopping experience.

I'm converted that deals are out there but is is worth it to always be thinking about diapers and be the annoying lady holding up the lines with all of her coupons? Hmm...The verdict is still out.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! You be that lady...at least you are saving money:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore the stares and glares - I have gotten my fair share. It IS worth it. Plus, you'll get better as you go and it won't be as much of a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People will actually be looking over your shoulder wondering what good deal you are getting and then I say, "they are paying me a dollar to take this box of tampons out of there store." so enjoy being the lady who hold us lines. Or come down to Utah County where they are use to coupons and it is fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do something similar - different program, but same concept with the coupons. It took me a few weeks, but I finally got comfortable with it. My problem initially was having some stores not taking my coupons. I learned to politely tell them, well, I don't want the items, thank you. I haven't had that problem in a while. :)
    The whole saving money things has turned into a game for me - I get a rush out of it, how nerdy is that?

    ReplyDelete