Monday, January 11, 2010

Genetics part II

In a previous post I pointed out a Genetic disorder that Bart and Emily share. I've since realized one that comes from my side of the family. A healthy attachment to a blanket. That's right! We love our blankets or as Emily coined "nigh-nigh" which has now become a familiar vocabulary word to mean blanket and has spread to some extended family members and friends. Emily at about 3-4 months of age became very particular to a certain pink silky blanket. This graduated into a need for the nigh-nigh to help with soothing when she bonked her head and of course to aid in sucking her fingers. Now it's almost like an appendage. At least it would be if I let her take it out in public.
I originally thought Emily's love of her nigh-nigh was due to Emily being an amazing self soother. When Jane's attachment, who is not a natural self soother, developed I began to wonder. Jane's attachment has been slow coming but sure enough it exists. Until recently she could go to bed with just about any blanket and be happy. Now I find her in the mornings putting her nigh nigh over her head or rolling around on it. When I take her out of the crib she grabs it to take it with her. When she finds it on the floor she'll bring it up to her cheek and say "nigh-nigh" in the sweetest voice ever. One Laundry day I rounded up all the nigh-nighs to wash and was surprised at Jane's protest. I've come to expect it from Emily but now it's from Jane as well. I had to take this picture of both of my girls screaming as there blankets swished around in the washing machine.

I really can't blame them to much for there love of blankets. I for one loved my silky blanket my Grandma Pace made for me. No other blanket compared. I took it to every sleep over until it's unfortunate disappearance at 4-H camp. To this day I get a sick feeling in my stomach and know it's got to be in that sheep camp I slept in.
There are other family members with this same genetic disorder I realized one this past Christmas at my parents. Joe or maybe Allyson took my sister Raquel's blanket to use. Raquel jumped from the couch squealing in protest, very similar to Emily and Jane on Laundry day, and retrieved her precious blanket.


4 comments:

  1. I had the same attachment to my very own pink blanket. It is safely in a plastic bag hidden in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the picture at the top and the picture of Emily and Jane waiting for their blankets to be washed. Seriously the two cutest girls in the world. I have to admit I have my own nigh nigh, but it is a king size down comforter that I can't tote around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely something GENETIC. All three of my boys love their silky. And, you know what? I remember your silky blankie, Allysons too. It was like a patchwork of silky goodness.It just breaks my heart to know yours is lost! How sad is that? Damn you 4 H sheep camp! Anyway, yes, my boys cannot be with out their silkies and they have the buck teeth to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha this is the funniest post ever....I guarantee you have to take it away from them when they get older. Mom did I think she threw away my old one and than I won a new one at the pace parties yea for grandmas pace and her blankets.... and yes no one can use my blanket its already so fadgile so I don't want any hands on it who knows if it will even show back up after.....especially is Allyson has it ha!

    ReplyDelete