Sunday, March 31, 2024

UPS delivery: North Pole

I love to celebrate winter Solstice.   We don't always get a chance to do it but when we do it becomes one of my favorite memories of the season.  This year I wanted it to be extra special because the next morning we were heading out to Teasdale for a Pace Christmas Party and then onto San Diego and Mexico.  This was going to be the only chance we had to do something at home and it didn't disappoint.  I don't know how Pauline knew that one day I hoped to own pretty Christmas dinner wear but the Sunday before she pulled me aside and said "I know how much Bart loves having things from his Nana so I thought you might enjoy having her Christmas plates.  They aren't anything super expensive but she took good care of them."    I was so honored she thought to give them to us I now have Christmas plates that are so special because they were once Bart's favorite Nana's.   I couldn't have asked for anything better.  I made one of my family's favorite dishes.  It's crockpot Steak in Gravy served over rice.   We ate by candle light and enjoyed the glow of all the Christmas lights we hung.    I talked to my family about how despite its the darkest day of the year we can enjoy the light if we turn it on.  I compared it to in life we have dark moments but if we search for the light we can feel peace and hope.   This light is through our Savior.   We then each wrote on a paper what hopes we have for the coming year.   and put them in a metal can.  My co worker, who gave me the idea a few years ago about ways to celebrate winter solstice gave me Christmas Crackers for the family and we had fun putting on the crowns and playing with the wind up toys.   We then took the metal can outside and started a small fire and sent our hopes and wishes up to the Heavens with the smoke.  






While we were watching our Pyro Aaron keep the fire alive I heard a knock on the door.   Confused I asked the boys to go see who was stopping by our house tonight.   
 
They soon came back screeching and hollering that a big box was sitting on our front porch with a note that said "Delivery from the North Pole".     Inside was a bunch of presents from Santa and our Elves.   My kids had been so worried if Santa would find us in Mexico but clever Santa had a better idea to simply deliver them early.   We had a wonderful night opening all our gifts and sharing so much kindness and love with each other.  












No comments:

Post a Comment