Emily's drum line friends were in charge of the Alta High Car Show Fundraiser event. Along with the Car show they had a mini drum line camp for kids. Emily took Spencer to the event and Spencer loved the camp. In addition to teasing all of her friends, especially going up to Liam and saying "Your Emily's Boyfriend" to see if he would turn red, he loved getting his own drum sticks and practicing for the performance. I made it just in time for his performance. He didn't miss a beat drumming those Home Depot buckets. He told me on the way home that I was right "Let's play music really prepared him for this camp because he advanced to the next level right away while some of the others needed a lot of help." He even said one kid just hit the drum over and over again and didn't follow along at all.
The rest of the day Spencer was on a mission to find all the different boxes and buckets to practice his new drum skills. He remembered how to hold the sticks and showed me a few tricks. He kept begging me to buy him a drum lid that goes on top of a bucket so finally I sat down with him and searched amazon. The drum lids were around $20 and it the suggested part of the screen he noticed a full drum set for close to the same price. I told them it was more for a toddler but he didn't care he wanted the drum set. So using my very best "bribery" parent skills I told him I would buy the whole set for him if he was his very best at school and only got good marks on his behavior tracker. He agreed he could do it for his last 10 days of school. Later that night I noticed him on the ground reciting things he could do when he started having problems with others kids. He would repeat "I can use my words to solve problems." "I can get a teacher to help solve the problem". I can keep my body safe and to myself. I'm sure he has been learning these things at school.

No comments:
Post a Comment