Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Jane's no good very bad horrible day

 It's the end of Christmas break and the night before the kids are heading back to school we all got a case of what I call "The Sunday night Blues."   Jane in particular kept mentioning she did not want to go back to school.     I'm struggling to gather my family for scripture and family prayer.    (I swear the Devil comes out with guns whenever I recommit to being more consistent).   Anyway I finally get everyone to gather and Jane in particular is not having it.     We finish the few versus and Bart asks Jane to say the prayer.  She belligerently agrees and then in a smart aleck voice prays for a horrible day.    At the end the boys giggle that she prayed for a bad day and Emily said something like wow you just prayed for a bad day.   I say nothing because I know she's just doing it to get a negative response and don't react (something else I'm working on) and we all go to bed.    

The next morning I take Emily to early morning seminary because city of Draper finally got to our neighborhood and her car was not going to make it over the huge bank of snow the trucks piled up at the end of our driveway.   I come back and make breakfast for the others.   At about 7:15  I wonder why I haven't seen Jane yet.  Jane is a very regimented person and wakes up and the same time on school days and follows a routine that involves eating breakfast around 7.  I call her phone and wake her up.  I tell her its 7:15 and jumps out of bed in a panic and mumbles something about how there is no way she is going to look nice today.    Jane hates feeling rushed and gets over stressed when hurried and barely makes it out of the door in time for carpool.  Throughout the day I get texts like.   My friend is really moody today.  I hate school etc.    After school Jane is sitting up to the counter while I prep dinner talking about her day.   She sums it up with a statement today sucked.   I respond well you know Heavenly Father answers our prayers.  Maybe it's not such a great idea to pray for a bad day huh?   




P.S.   In case this paints the wrong perspective of Jane she is usually a spiritual strength in my house.  A few days later everyone is asleep except for me and Jane who is packing herself a lunch.    I comment Oh man!  I forgot to read the scriptures with everyone tonight.   Dang it.  We can't even go more than 2 days in row.  Jane goes and gets the scriptures, hand them to me and says "I'll read them with you tonight."    

1 comment: