Emily decided early on she wanted to try out for the musical. I was all for it because I remember how much fun I had in High School. As I picked up Emily and her friend Alix from try outs I asked them what they wanted to be and both smiled and said 'a part'
On the way to Dark Valley on Labor Day Emily squealed with excitement when she found out she was cast as one of the electric skates. In Emily's words "I get to be in a boy band and I get to skate around the stage" I asked why boys aren't cast in the part as a boy band and Emily said because there is like 4 boys in the whole musical. We joked for weeks about how she was going to make us a million dollars on America's Funniest Home Videos as she skates into the orchestra pit. In classic Emily humor she said I might lose my life but it will be all worth it to if it makes you a ton of money.
Emily wasn't only memorizing her lines, skating around the neighborhood on her pink skates but she was constantly perfecting her make up to the point that her pink star around her eye refused to come off with make up removal but she didn't care it was the sacrifice one had to make for the show.
Papa, Nona, Bart and Aaron went on the last night.
I was exhausted just watching Emily burn both ends of the candle each day during Tech week and then during the performance nights and thought Emily might be relieved to have it over. Not so, before the last performance Emily burst into tears saying how much she was going to miss spending every waking moment with all her friends in the cast. Good thing there is next year.
Your last two posts I see the faces of all those smiling kids living normal lives and I am thrilled. I can’t wait for Salt Lake City to catch up!
ReplyDelete