The world lost one of its greatest. I woke up on Sunday Nov. 15th to a family text saying that Grandpa Morrell died last night. A tear instantly swelled up in my eye and sadness was beginning to sweep over me but almost instantly I felt this great sense of joy that my Grandpa was happier because he was in a better place with my Grandma Morrell the love of his life.
He was a tall handsome tough cowboy who lived with integrity, grit and patriotism. Although he only attended Snow college for a year and then needed to come home to help run the ranch he was the wisest and most well read man I know. He kept up to date on events and politics. I remember one 4th of July picnic the topic was on some political decision and I remember my Grandpa saying "All anyone cares about anymore is money." I often think about that when I see the corruption in the world.
Growing up we spent a great deal of time at my Grandparents house. Almost every Sunday they would either come down and visit us or we would go to their house. We also stopped by after any sort of school event like the Spring Festival or a basketball game that one of us was participating in. I remember their front room always had a roaring fire and was at least 100 degrees. My grandpa was usually sitting in his sweats. Something he and Bart share a love for. I would quietly sit and listen to the conversation between my dad and grandpa. Which was usually about cows or politics. My grandma would always say go get yourself a Schwans Ice cream or some oreos in the cupboard. As soon as we emerged with them my Grandpa would say "Are you going to pay me for that?" or "That will cost you fifty cents". Being young and unable to understand sarcasm he scared me with his humor. If it wasn't for my Grandma saying "Oh Meeks, you kids take as much as you like" I probably wouldn't have dared to eat anything at their house.
As I've grown older I've realized his sense of humor. He can be quite the ham when he wants to be and likes to chuckle and tease.
The funeral was wonderful. They had each of us 17 grandkids tell a favorite memory of him. I loved hearing all of my cousins tell a memory because they were often memories I had shared but had forgotten about him.
I told about how when Bart and I were engaged we were shopping to buy our first home. We had travelled down to St. George for a Morrell reunion and were talking to my Grandpa about a recent contract we had signed on a house and then because of dishonestly it was sold out from under us. My wise Grandpa calmly said "Well something better will come up". Something better for us to come up and I often rely on his solid faith when I've been faced with disappointment and have seen that things always work and often just requires patience.
I've heard the story about his birth many times. His mother was well into her 40's with solid grey hair when he was born. He was a whopping 13 lbs. The Dr joked to hurry and take him off the scale before he gains any more weight. I also heard that in the hospital there were many people who would say "you've got to come see this lady with the gray hair who just delivered the biggest baby.
My favorite story from the funeral was read from his personal history. He talked about being on his favorite horse riding along and all of the sudden he was sinking in quick sand. The horse was frantically trying to get out but was sinking instead. He said he said a prayer that he and his horse could get out of the predicament. He said he had a calm feeling come over me, and he felt the Holy Ghost guide him about what to do. He rolled the horse over on his side took off his saddle and blanket and used them to crawl to solid ground. When he got to shore he threw the rope over his horses head and pulled him toward the shore. He said he knew the Holy Ghost had given him extra strength and wisdom. When he looked down the river the cow was completely sunk out of sight. He knew it was Divine Interventions that saved him that day.
![]() |
| My Grandpa's siblings. L-R. Rube, Dora Dean, Elwood, Rebecca Lyle, Meeks |
![]() |
| Grandpa Morrell and his horse Fox |
Goodbye Grandpa Morrell. It's hard to think that that a huge part of my childhood with you and Grandma is gone. I hope to live with as much faith, hard work and grit as you did so we can all be together again.


















What a beautiful legacy. I love these stories.
ReplyDelete