Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Soccer camp

June 17-20

Jane was super excited to attend the UofU soccer camp this year with a few good friends from her soccer team.   The first day she came home beaming especially at the yummy food served in the cafeteria.  The next morning she woke up feeling nauseous but seemed to perk up a bit after eating breakfast so off we went to pick up some carpooling friends and just as we got on the freeway everything came back up.    At first I was in denial that she was sick, mostly because I'd spent so much money on this camp.   She seemed to be feeling a little better when we got to the U so I sent her off with instructions that I was staying close by and to call if she got sick.   

Meanwhile I took Spencer and Aaron to the free day at "This is the Place State Park".    The boys rode the horses and each got a shave







Just as we were loading up on the train I got a call from Jane saying mom I just threw up!   There goes my plans for the day.  All I could hear was the sound of money flushing down the toliet as I drove to pick her up.    The next day she felt crappy and stayed home but went back the last day and got her swag including a scarf that gets you in free to all the UofU women soccer home games.


The camp wasn't a total lost because last weekend Jane's team escorted the team onto the field for pregame introductions with their first game of the season on a brand new field.    She loved seeing so many of the team that she knew from the team and I was touched about how nice they were to Jane.     Jane also was privileged to be one of the "ball girls".  Her job was to sit on the sidelines and throw a new ball in quickly when the other one went out of bounds and to retrieve the other ball.   She took the job very seriously, especially since the game was being broadcast on some cable channel.    She spoke about her mortification of  both she and the other ball girl threw their balls in at the same time and it was on T.V.











After the game the team sat up at a table and signed autographs.   Many of the women commented on Jane's camp shirt she was wearing and gave her encouragement to keep playing!



2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm sorry she was sick! Pretty sweet gig to be a ball girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool thing she got to do! Maybe I should use my connections at BYU to get her on the sidelines there :)

    ReplyDelete