Once again I got to camp with my favorite ladies and Young Women from my ward. The only request from last year from the young women was to please find us a place with cabins. Tenting was not their favorite and frankly mine either. Especially after the frigid last night. I hate being cold. Lucky for us I was able to reserve the LDS camp Mia Shalom equipped with cabins, a lake, obstacle course, a huge pavilion all to ourselves (the place was a ghost town) and the most beautiful wild flowers for all of us to enjoy. The camp director Nikki Archer did an amazing job combining fun, spirituality and good humor into camp. Her assistant Holly Brown brought all the girly crafting stuff to appease any appetite. The night before camp I was in a bad mood not wanting to give up 4 days of my summer when I could be spending it with my sisters. It felt like too much of a sacrifice and then like others times in my life I realized that the adversary was behind those feelings which meant that an amazing spiritual experience was a head of me. Emily and I came straight from Teasdale and joined the troop mid lunch time and as I walked into the camp I instantly was overcome with the best spirit which only continued to get stronger as the camp went on. I found myself on the last night in a huge rain storm struggling to stay dry and prepare dinner at the same time yet all I could feel was extreme happiness despite the awful conditions. Girls camp really does have an amazing spirit to it.
Perhaps the most rewarding experience came after camp many parents of girls that I know struggle with wanting to come to church personally texted me saying their daughter had an amazing time. Even more rewarding was hearing one particular girl who often has a bad attitude say that her most rewarding time this summer was girls camp because it was so spiritual. All I can say is I am so lucky to serve in the calling, although I may bicker at times about the time commitment. I love these girls, the leaders I serve with as well as the growing experience this calling is for me.































I always remember my leaders' enthusiasm and testimonies. Now as a mom I realize the sacrifices they were making to be there with us. You are doing a great job.
ReplyDelete