Sunday, April 7, 2019

Eternal Friends

When I got set apart as a missionary I was told that I would meet friends that would continue into Eternity.    Looking back now I see how true it is.  I have a little bit of contact with some of the people I taught or worked with in the church but most have moved away from Indiana but I love them just as much as 20 years ago.  Although I know I won't see them until the next life  I'm sure the reunion will be sweet and full of love. 

John on the other hand has kept in close touch with  his "eternal friends" from his mission.  It's incredible.   As I met some of the choice people it was apparent how much they met to John and Pauline and how much John and Pauline met to them.   

 Tina was the first one we met up with in Rome.   She doesn't speak much English but readily communicated such warmth and class.  John met Tina when she was just a little girl.  Tina was the daughter of a single mom who owned an apartment building.  John and his companion was tasked with finding a proper place for them to live and rented from this lady.  According to John she adored the missionaries and did so much for them and probably would have joined the church if it wasn't for her live in boyfriend.   Around 50 years later those feelings were exemplified through her daughter Tina who gladly gave up an afternoon to spend with us.  



On our first trip to the temple John met up with other Italian Friends.  


Sergio and Ginsy Griffa



Brother and Sister Caruso


After our brief time on the temple grounds we darted back in a taxi to the center of Rome where we met up with the Tonon family from Torino Italy who came down for the  temple dedication.  John was in his happy place with these people and mentioned his favorite part of the trip was having dinner with them.  Emmanuel his wife Sarah and their two kids arrived at the restaurant first.  The communication was choppy as Sarah didn't know any English and Emmanuel knew just a little.  They were friendly nonetheless and as we were parting Sarah somehow communicating to me that she felt bad she couldn't talk to me because her English is poor and I felt the same way but she felt like a kindred spirit that in another time and place we would have been friends.   Emmanuel's sister Sarah joined us soon after and easily took the place as the family interpreter. Sarah is an amazing disciple of Christ.  She even followed the prophet by telling the waiter who questioned why none of us wanted wine or coffee that "We are Mormons, I mean members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints so we don't drink coffee or wine."   Pauline shared an article that was written about her in some online church article.  It told the story about how Sarah lost her husband less than a year ago from being shot point blank.  Sarah related that the night after the shooting she couldn't sleep and poured her heart out to Heavenly Father and he gave her great comfort to the point that she has felt no despair about losing her husband to the point of feeling almost guilty.   She said she still worries about her 3 small boys being raised without a father but has faith that at some time she will know the reason for losing her husband.    Sarah got her phone out and face timed with her mom as well as her brother Evans who lived for a brief time with John and Pauline.   They both seemed so happy to see John and Pauline.  I could feel such mutual adoration between all.  During the time I spent with the Tonon's I could feel the love this family had for each other.   Just amazing people who make me want to be a better person.






Being able to attend one of the dedicatory sessions of the Rome temple was an amazing experience.  It was exhilarating to see on facebook this picture of the twelve at the temple and to know I was in Italy during the same time they were all at the Rome temple.  












The grounds were all a buzz and some of the twelve were mingling with the people on the grounds.    As I was trying to get a better glance of this magnificent stain glass, I noticed an interview being held and what caught my attention was the man being interviewed has a deliberating stutter.   So I stood in the background and listened to the interview and realized they were interviewing a husband and wife team who had created this artwork.  The man painfully stammered out that because he has such a hard time communicating he creates these pictures to show his love for the Savior.  It was touching to hear this and be reminding that oftentimes we are given trials to redirect us to our true mission in this life.    He said all of the models of the people in the picture are members of the Christ I think living in Italy.  As he said this I caught a glimpse of this lady on the right walking around the visitor center

  












I love that everything in the LDS church comes back to ordinances performed in the temple     It makes life so much more meaningful to know the relationships we have with family and friends we meet along the way as we are serving our Heavenly Father will continue beyond this life.


Thank you John and Pauline for accepting our self invite to Italy!  It was a once in a lifetime trip for us and we will always cherish the memories.



1 comment:

  1. I watched the KSL TV documentary on the Rome Italy temple on Sunday and it was a beautiful piece. I still think it is so cool you were there!

    ReplyDelete