There must have been something in the water in Draper 13+ years ago because all the kids in my neighborhood around Emily's age are boys. Soon after we moved in and Emily discovered the lack of girls she would pray each time a house went up for sale that a girl would move in her age. Each time that happened a girl Jane's age would move in or another boy. She's since stopped praying for that.
The neighborhood organized car pool of kids attending Indian Hills Middle School consists of 11 boys and Emily. I'm charged with taking 4 boys and Emily home after school on Mondays and Tuesdays. This group is hilarious. We've got Jameson who I sure is going places in this world. He's out before anyone else and gives everyone else a hard time for not hurrying. There's Blake who has to sit by the window so he can roll it down and call out to all of his many friends who are walking by. I hope he realizes his social potential and runs for student body officer one day. Lucas is a sweet awkward kid who likes to sit in the front and then there's Isaac who moseys out last usually with a girl Paisley which sets himself up for endless teasing by the others but is always in denial that Paisley is his girlfriend. They love to tease Spencer about his curly hair, who being the youngest loves the attention. I've heard conversations about what's happening in football, scouts as well as who is who's Valentine and ideas for gifts for those Valentines.
Close to my house is a Flower Shop. On their marquee outside the shop there is a name that changes every few days or so and says to come in for a free flower. Every time we drive past and especially on the bus ride home from school my kids are hopeful that it will be their name. For six and a half years they have waited without success. One day on our way home from carpool we noticed Emily's name so I pulled in for Emily to run in for her flower. One of the boys dared another boy to go in and say his name was Emily and soon the group effect of daringness took over and they all piled out of my car not listening to my protests. Soon they all piled back in with a flower. Boys I tell you are funny creatures!
Ironically just a week or so later Jane's named appeared. What's the likeliness of that. She lucked out with the prettiest pink rose in full bloom. Perfect for Jane.



I love that!! Too bad I'd probably never see my name on the sign. But Rachelle is just the French spelling of Rachel, so I bet I could convince the store owner to hook me up with a freebie ok Rachel day. Hey, if a car full of male Emily's could get a free flower... ;)
ReplyDelete