Friday, February 8, 2019

Be like Marie

A couple of years ago Allyson read the book the Art of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.  While reading she would call me about a new discovery and tip and I'm like doesn't everybody do that.  After she rehashed the book to me I had a self realization that I'm good at this area of my life and why have I not written this book myself. 

Ally's rekindled her passion as she's discovered the Netflix series Tidying up and insisted that I watch it with my girls.     So we made it through a few episodes but became bored.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Marie is doing for the world but I don't need the motivation of this show.   I'll admit I have my shortcomings and find there just isn't enough time in the day to keep it perfectly spotless with so many people living in my house.  I also find it a waste of energy to fold my clothes perfectly sorry Marie.

 Raquel's been watching the show and tagged Allyson with this meme



Jane my partner in organizing crime got more out of the episodes than me.  She learned the art of folding clothes perfectly and insisted that one day we clean out her drawers and reorganize them.    She did give me those your strange mom looks when I asked her if she find joy in each shirt and if she didn't then to thank it and throw it in the D.I. pile. 






Being like Marie has it's woes as well.   It's frustrating when your kids sabotage your work.  Like when I spent time perfectly organizing the crayons, markers and coloring pencils into their own baskets just to turn around the next day and discover Spencer found them and scattered them all over the house.    Allyson for years has teased me about being too organized in my email and in so doing I've deleted or can't find an email I need.   She on the other hand can search and find any email because she's never deleted one.  She even tagged me in the meme.



Occasionally I will throw away something to find I need it later on.   For instance...  Emily and her friend Chloe worked on a history day project and cut out a super large cardboard box into a temple painting in and used it for the history day fair which they did an outstanding job on.    Upon picking Emily up from school and cramming it into the Pilot using up the 2nd and 3rd row  I told Emily she did I an outstanding job on but there is nowhere to store such a huge project.   She neglected to take it out of my car so the next day I threw it away in the dumpster at school.    Emily came home the next day and said "I'm a runner up for regionals with my project and there's a huge chance I'll be taking my project to regionals".    My response "Regionals Emily?"  "You said nothing to me about there being regionals"    "I threw your project away at school today. "  After a few tears and a lot of blaming me for her woes in life I promised her that if she does make it to regionals I would help her recreate the temple.     To my relief she didn't get selected to go and I don't have to figure out how to find another giant cardboard box to cut and paint.    Hopefully Emily will forgive me but most likely she will learn to not leave her stuff where her mom can take it and throw it away.  


So if you want help or advice to tidy up I'd be glad to come to you assistance. I might not be as cute and happy as Marie or show up in my cardigan and knee high dress with tights but I'll get the job done.    In the meantime I'll be shopping on amazon for a lazy susan to increase the efficiency of my spice cupboard.   

1 comment:

  1. Everyone keeps talking about her, and I'm like...who?? ;D I hate cleaning, so to watch someone clean/organize sounds miserable to me!! But while I can't stand cleaning, I truly detest when my house is a mess. I used to be a major neat freak, but now cleaning is the first thing to get scratched from my to-do list in the craziness of this season of life. I really can't claim to be a neat freak any more. . . I strive to just have a semi-tidy house. Not one single one of my offspring got my tendency to throw things away or organize/clean as they go. They are all pack rats (like their daddy). Sigh... It really is an uphill battle trying to keep this house clean!

    ReplyDelete