He had discovered the box of a compilation of old ceramic nativities I've rounded up over the years, mostly from Deseret Books free gift with purchase. All of my kids have man handled these to death and what's left is a variety of pieces some half broken. There are 2 or 3 figures of the baby Jesus (you can never have enough of the baby Jesus, he is the first to walk off and end up somewhere else. One year I spent a long time getting him out of a ceramic house that a little finger and masterfully shoved through the window and then became distraught realizing he was stuck) Spencer caught my attention with his mooing sounds and then I paused and watched and noticed his conversation to himself. Here are a few phrases....
While holding the baby Jesus he showed him to all the other nativity characters and said to each one "Jesus loves you." He also said "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" as well as "in the name of Jesus Christ Amen" over and over again.
It was one of the teaching moments for me and brought me back to Matthew Chapter 18:1-3 which says
1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
There really isn't anything sweeter than a 2 year old playing with a nativity set. Spencer taught me that even in the mist of the chaos of the season if only we pause and remember the Savior we can feel the true reason and spirit of the season. This Christmas I've been trying harder to do that and have found that as I'm doing the same busy things such as Christmas cards, wrapping presents, shopping, baking, activities with the youth, etc... when I pause and think about the Savior, the spirit of giving feels my heart and these simple tasks don't feel so heavy and I feel a little like the phrase from the song Oh Holy Night "....a thrill of hope the weary world rejoices."




No comments:
Post a Comment