In my attempts at potty training Spencer I feel like I've become an expert on potty training a dog. I started with reviewing the 3 day potty training guide and stocked up on lots of juice boxes, treats and underwear. Spencer was so excited when a package from Amazon contained some underwear with different balls on them. He immediately put on all 5 of them by himself (of course the wrong way) and was happy as a clam. We spent the next couple of days hovering around the bathroom waiting for something to come out.
Turns out Spencer has a constant small stream of pee coming out most of the time so getting it in the toilet was a breeze. By day 3 he woke up dry and could "pee on command" and even made a number 2 in the toilet. I was feeling grand thinking he might be the easiest kid I've potty trained.
Then the weather turned warm and Spencer started spending a lot of time outside. He's obsessed with the trampoline and is totally content running out there by himself and jumping to his own delight. I've loved having him outside because my guard is down without carpet and rugs to soil. Spencer lets his guard down as well and like all of my other children his bowls work best when in motion.
Needless to say we've had very few bowel movements in the toilet. It's often I'll look out and observe a photo such as this one......
Yes Spencer is on the trampoline naked waist down and if you look closely you'll see some soiled underwear disregarded on the grass. It hit an all time low when Spencer was playing outside and came in the house, took off his pants and underwear told me yucky because they were wet and promptly bee lined it back outside. Not even 5 minutes later he came back saying "potty outside" I followed him outside and he showed me where "like a dog" he pooped.
I'd put him back in diapers except for he is great at peeing "if not outside" and isn't scared of the toilet or stubborn about it. So instead I took a trip to the dollar store and spend $20 on toys and told him he could have one each time he pooped in the toilet. He asked for one of the balls in the sack daily and since then he's made it to the toilet twice so knock on wood it might be slowly sinking in.
Word of advice.... If the movie Winnie the Pooh comes on TV during the potty training process quickly turn it off. All day Spencer kept saying Poop and I'd run him into the bathroom just for him to throw a fit and say "Watch Poop" I finally figured out he wanted to watch Winnie the Poo again. He even found a Winnie the Poo figure and decided that Poop need Poop. Confusing!!




Hilarious!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing! I havent even thought of potty training Harvey and now his younger cousin will beat him to it! Good job Spencer!
ReplyDelete