Friday, February 2, 2018

Better late than never

Better late than never said no mother ever when it came to putting together a kids birthday party.   But how can I say no to such  a remarkable beauty inside and out as my Jane.



Way back on Christmas we are driving home from Bart's parents house.    The subject of Jane's upcoming birthday the next day came up and suggestions for a promised birthday party.  Every bone in my body cried out in defense of gearing up for another celebration.   I then proceed for the car ride home to convince Jane that birthday parties are over rated.  I even went as far as saying "Jane I'll make you a deal instead of have a birthday party for you  tomorrow on your birthday we can have a "Yes Jane day".   Just picture it.    You wake up and for the entire day anything you want I will do for you.  I will be your personal slave.   We can go eat anywhere you like,   do any sort of activity you want.  I promise you I will say "Yes Jane"  all day long.  Think about it.... Doesn't it sound fantastic?"   Jane paused then said "Will you give me a million dollars?"  I replied  I can only say yes to things I have and I don't have a million dollars so I can't say yes to that.  She then said well then I just want my promised birthday party.     Me:  (silently groan then feel that pangs of guilt that I had her the day after Christmas as well as compassion of middle child neglect)  So I say OK well it won't be until sometime in January OK.  Jane was fine with it and all was good in the world again.

January came and Saturdays were quickly filled up with Jr. Jazz and soccer games.   Bart then scurried off to Sundance and since a pinata was top on the list of party activities we just couldn't do the party without him.    I'd occasionally plea for Jane to reconsider her party but my stubborn girl would not be persuaded otherwise.     We  realized a Saturday  was just too hard so Jane suggested a Friday night instead.     The invitations were drawn up and the party set.





We started with a sloppy joe dinner and then the girls proceeded to decorate and personalize their own water bottle.  (I think the decorating a water bottle was the highlight of the party.)   We then played a couple of "soccer" games.


-Airheads--   A game where you have to keep a balloon up in the air without touching it with your hands.
-Goal-  The girls each took turns kicking a beach ball and keeping it between the goals as each round the goals got smaller and smaller.
-Side lines-  We played a game of musical chairs because all soccer games have a people sitting and watching right?  I know kind of a stretch to make it soccer related but it worked






Bart set up the Pinata and within a couple of hits it fell off the hook.  I think Jane over filled it.    After trying unsuccessfully to hang it back it we finally just let the girls each take turns hitting it on the ground.  Just when I had the idea to let the girls kick it around like a normal soccer ball it exploded and Bart  poured it out on everyone's head.




It was then on to presents and cake.






After the clean up and we were loaded in the car heading home Jane said "Mom thank you so much for the party,  I had so much fun".     Her gratitude touched me deeply and it made all the work worth it to see my Janer's happy. 

1 comment: