Saturday, January 27, 2018

40 favorite things

When Bart turned 40 he went on an Autograph adventure.  When I turned 40 Bart went on an autograph adventure.  See a trend.  Haha   Preparing for the big 40 and knowing Bart always leaves me a Sundance Widow I decided to avoid feeling lonely and depressed on my birthday I would throw a Favorite things party for myself!!


First came the invites!!  Ally feeling bad she lives a couple states away volunteered to write me a poem and make up the invites.




 After I sent the invitations I started feeling insecure about throwing myself a party wondering what people would think.  Then I decided that being 40  means I can put myself out there without worrying about what other think which helped cast away most of my insecurities.

 I decided to invite a few friends from a mixture of different times in my life including old roommates, college buddies, old mission companions, family members and current neighbors.  I was surprised at the response I got especially from some long lost friends who replied that they couldn't make it but were so happy to be invited.   It renewed my sense that although life goes on a kindred spirit is always a kindred spirit no matter how many years of separation.


I think the party turned out great.  The food everyone brought was fantastic, the company was great and I enjoyed the white elephant style game opening presents and seeing what everyone's favorite thing was.  My only regret was I took groups of pictures of most of the people that came minus the stragglers except my family and Bart's family.  It was in the back of my mind all night but the time got away from me.   Thank Heavens I got a picture of everyone all together at the end of the night.








My mom also had everyone fill out this sheet of their favorite things about me.  I hate attention but I've loved reading such kind things for so many of my "favorite people".
During and after the party I felt so loved and appreciative of the people in my life.  It was so much fun it made me think that in  another 40 years I'll do it again.



 Maybe it's the old soul in me but I'm excited for my 40's.    I feel healthier than I've felt in a long time and expect to feel this way knowing pregnancies and the aftermath with a newborn is far behind me.   I find that I'm enjoying the friendships I have with my kids as they get older and I'm enjoying the little bit of freedom that comes with them aging.   My marriage to Bart is comfortable, secure, strong and just keeps getting better.    I'm at the height of my career and feel competent with most any kid that comes my way and I  love the continued learning and social outlet work brings.

My goals for my 40's
I want to increase in kindness and love.
I want to master control over my temper.
I want to keep my relationship strong with my kids as they mature and bask in the wonderful people they have become
I want to sustain a strong testimony of the gospel and help others feel of it's truthfulness

I want to be more like my Grandma Morrell and always look for and compliment the good in others.
I want to be like my Grandma Pace and continually develop my talents and use my time constructively.
I want to be like my mom and always reach out in friendliness to everyone around me.
I want to be like my mother in law Pauline and not let a day go by without looking to serve someone in need.













1 comment:

  1. This is so fantastic, Collette! I'm going to be a Philmont widow when I turn 40. I may just have to be a big copycat and throw myself a party, too!!! Love your goals, and 40 never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete