Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Precious Gifts

A couple of months ago I dig out a simplified hymn book I got in college to have Emily start practicing some hymns so she could start accompanying the activity day girls.  This envelope with $20 bucks falls out of the book and onto the floor.  




I picked it up and and overwhelming feeling of love from my Grandma Morrell filled my heart.  It was as if she was sending her love from Heaven through this lost gift.    My Grandma was always a very thoughtful gift giver.  I remember once on Christmas as a child wanting a cabbage patch doll play pen.  On Christmas Eve I still remember my grandparents bringing this large wrapped box in the house that was just for me.    I couldn't wait to open it and I think it was my first present I opened the next morning.  The box was empty but hiding behind a chair or something was the cabbage patch doll play pen assembled given from my Grandma and Grandpa Morrell.  Through my teenage and into my  college years my Grandma gave us all the latest church book and I loved them.  As she aged it turned into money but she was still always thoughtful and generous with that.     Looking back it wasn't about what the present was but more about the love behind each and every gift.    I'm grateful for the plan of salvation to have a certainty that her love still exists on the other side of the veil.    



This Christmas I opened this gift thinking it was from my Sister.



 Inside the card was a handwritten note from my 95 year old Grandma.  I set it aside to keep it and copy it to my blog but somehow I think it ended up being scooped up with all the trash.    Gratefully Sarah saved hers and copied it but it was the same except the names on it.


My grandma is by far the best cook I know.  She spends her life cooking and quilting for others.  She recently broke her leg and as we visited her in a rehab center she was still hand sewing ornaments for others.  I'm glad I have this bowl to remember what brought joy into her life.  

2 comments: