I've been preparing all week for Aaron's star wars party on Saturday. I came across a diy Death Star piñata tutorial that looked so easy I decided it just might be easier than going to wal mart to buy a Darth Vader piñata. (Have I mentioned I hate wal mart and will do just about anything to avoid that place. Here's where I give a big shout out to Amazon)
So last Sunday Bart was out of town and we had a very quiet Sunday afternoon with nothing going on so I brought out the balloon, flour water and newspaper and started to instruct my kids on how to paper mache. Jane quickly stopped me and said "Mom don't you know we do this all the time at school in art". So the kids took over and spread flour and water paste and newspaper all over a balloon as well as all over my kitchen. I'm serious the floors, counters and all door handles around were covered. We finished the first coat let it try and applied a couple more before going to bed.
The next morning I started scrubbing my kitchen. It was so bad it took a few hours to get all the pasty stuff off. As I was cleaning I dreamed of one day owning a steam cleaner just like Pauline's to make jobs like this easier. All the sudden my heart sank because I realized our neighbor who is one of Aaron's best friends is coming to the party and is allergic to everything. I'm not exaggerating either he can eat 3 foods and if he has any contact with most foods he goes into an anaphylactic shock so I have been very careful to plan this party so he wouldn't feel left out. Anyway I realized that having the piñata made out of flour wasn't going to work for Evan to participate. I had visions of pasty floury stuff flying through the air and sending Evan to the hospital. I fretted the day away wondering what to do and knowing my kids had worked so hard on the dang thing they would be sad to not use it.
Well the kids came home and we were sitting in the kitchen doing homework and the piñata sat on the table. As if by nowhere this huge gust of wind came through the patio door and blew the piñata off the table and it shattered into many pieces. Aaron gasped and said "My piñata!!! Now I won't have one for my party!!! This is the worst day ever." I shared in his grief but was also relieved that divine intervention solved my problem.
The next day we drove to Zurchers bought the least expensive round piñata which happened to be a pumpkin. Came home took out the silver spray paint and a very happy little boy spray painted a pumpkin into a death star and as we filled it up with toys he exclaimed "This is the best day ever"
Lesson be learned. dndiy (Do not do it yourself) when it comes to piñatas



I forgot to tell you on Saturday that I really liked the piñata -- and I am glad the second attempt worked out! The whole party was so great, and will most likely be copied pretty closely for Andrew in December ;)
ReplyDelete