Monday, January 28, 2013

Long, Lean and Strong

It's interesting to give birth to a big baby.  During the hospital everyone would comment about Aaron's size.    I heard things like "Oh you poor thing to deliver such a big baby" "Wow he's huge"  "Is this kid really a newborn?"  I know people weren't saying this to offend me and many people would take great pride in producing such a big kid but my momma bear instinct made me a little defensive because he was my little baby boy. 
The only time I got mad was when the pediatrician came in at 5 in the morning to go over his assessment.   He was incredibly long winded talking non stop about safety issues which in my half conscious state I tuned most of it out until he said "You need to be very cautious placing him up high because they can roll over so quickly.  Although big babies tend not to be as active so that's probably not a huge concern."   I wanted to slap him saying my baby might be big but he won't be a big fat lug.

When Aaron rolled over from his belly to his back at 6 weeks I exclaimed to nobody in particular.  "See there Dr. Lindsay my big lug of a baby just rolled over".  I pronounced it again on Jan 3rd as he rolled from his back to his front at 14 weeks.

We just got back from Aaron's 4 month check up.  At 27 inches he continues to be in the 99% in height and is 14.4 pounds (50%) in weight.  I noticed on his chart that he is 3 inches taller than the average boy his same age.   As our "New" pediatrician  was observing Aaron's long hands and feet ask me how tall my husband is.  He didn't say it but I think he was predicting Aaron to be tall. 

Watch out Bart I'm betting Aaron gives you a run for your money on height.   I guess we will watch and see.  If I and everyone else is wrong and Aaron turns out short.  I love him just the same!!


Here's some pictures of Aaron growing.










6 comments:

  1. Some doctors can be so annoying! I remember they kept testing Andrew's blood for diabetes in the hospital "because he's so huge!" and he was only 8'14. Sheesh. Then on the opposite end they freak you out if the baby is not growing according to their charts. And the "what do you feed that baby, straight cream?" comments at church have got to stop. So do the "Well you don't make much milk" comments on the opposite end. Babies are babies are babies and they all grow differently and we love them to death.

    PS Wen I see those pictures of AaronI want to say, "Whosa good boy? Huh? Whosa sweetheart?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the opposite problem. Though Griffin started off big (my biggest at 8 lbs 9 oz - his blood was also checked frequently in the hospital, like Andrew), he is now in the 25th percentile for length and weight. He is slow to reach milestones - at 6 mo, he has rolled from belly to back and can sort of sit up. No back to belly rolls, and no complete 360 rolls. But you know what? I LOVE it. He is staying little longer for me. A tender mercy, in my book, since he is my last. I think Aaron is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see him tomorrow! He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures. Pretty sure he's going to be at least 6' 10" tall. Good thing you have a basketball hoop at your new house. You have to come visit me in sunny California so William can play with him! It was 80 degrees today! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Aaron is a cutie. Our little Micah is on the small side of things, and at 5 1/2 months, he is only close to rolling over by accident as he cranes his head around to see the action! Aren't we glad we have those mama bear instincts. It would be a hard life indeed if your own mother didn't think you were the greatest ever! I am happy he is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow Aaron is so huge like the longest baby I have ever seen lol he is so cute though preety sure he will pass up Dayson in height when he is 1. He looks just like Bart!

    ReplyDelete