My Grandpa Pace "Gramps" pasted away December 4th. I blogged about him after we celebrated his 90th birthday party. He was a month shy of turning 93. Bart said it was neat to experience his first graveside service with full military honors.
The funeral was very nice. I was reminded of my pride of being a Pace. When I was getting married it was hard for me to change my name. It wasn't because I wanted to keep my sense of independence and luckily it wasn't because I had to take on a lame name because Richards is a great solid name, but it was simply because I loved my last name Pace. I realized that Gramps installed this in all of us. My uncle Steve told a story that explained this. He said that about 5 or so years ago when when he was visiting and during breakfast all of Gramps kids got into one argument after another each freely expressing their opinions. He said Gramps turned to him and said lets go for a ride. As they drove around he told his son in law that he couldn't understand how each and every one of his grand kids were smart, beautiful and absolutely perfect when his own children were complete idiots. Steve then said "It's just like the basics of cattle breeding. He said the Gene's of he, and all the sister in laws have made the genes stronger." My uncle then said all of the sudden as they were driving down the road Gramps grabbed the gear shift of his old jeep and slammed it into park. He turned to him and said "Now listen here. If you think that any gene can dominate Pace genes you are absolutely wrong."
My cousin Ani talked about how Gramps in World War II met a man in a Pub who told him the secret to a happy life. He said he adopted the saying "Temperance and Tolerance" from then on and has tried to live his life accordingly.
I'm grateful to be Gramps' Granddaughter and appreciate the love and encouragement he gave me.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. He sounds like a wonderful man. Much love and comfort to your whole family!
ReplyDelete