
At Emily's school the "awesome" speech therapist comes into the kindergarten class and does class lessons about good pragmatic skills. All year long Emily has been coming home teaching or rather enforcing these skills in our house. It all started with Emily's lessons on Bullies. Whenever I would tell Emily no, she would get upset and tell me I'm a Bully because a bully makes other people feel bad. I finally got so sick of hearing that I'm a bully that I outlawed that word in my house and whoever said that word would go straight to time out. That seemed to work.
For the past couple of months it's been all about being a bucket filler. Emily is the first to point out helpfulness in our house and she'll respond with things like"Jane is helping so she is being a bucket filler" or "Mom today at school I shared my treat with my friends. That was being a bucket filler right?". On the other hand if I say something that makes Emily upset like "Not today" or "Emily it is time to stop playing and finish your homework" She angrily replies You are not being a bucket filler. Now it seems our family is on a quest to fill buckets. The best positive reinforcement is for me to tell the girls I like how they did something because it is being a bucket filler.
The other morning I told my girls to hurry and get dressed. Both of my girls rushed to the bathroom to be the first one to put on their clothes. In the scrambled Jane pushed Emily and made Emily trip. Emily then told Jane "Jane don't push that is being a bucket dumper." That erupted the fireworks in Jane, who got right up into Emily's face and shouted "EM, I AM NOT, I AM A BUCKET FILLER"
Obviously nobody wants to be called a bucket dumper.
Those girls are too cute...makes me think if the little kiddos I work with say anything I say at home.
ReplyDelete