I've been on many autograph adventures with Bart but for the first time I think I have been star struck.
Last Tuesday, Bart's birthday, Bart takes the day off to chase U2. I'm finishing up at work and Bart calls and ever so carefully and nicely asks if I'd like to come and help him get U2's autograph. I having no interest in going frankly tell him "I hate wasting my time but since it is your birthday I'll go"
I head up to the UofU stadium and begin the painful process of chancing an autograph. Luckily we didn't have to wait too long because a stream of black Suburbans soon roll in. Bono, Edge and Adam get out and come over to the line of Fans seeking pictures, autographs, or just a glance at the stars. Adam and Edge were very gracious to sign and then Bono made his way up the line to me. He stopped when he got to me and turned the photo I wanted him to sign over. At this point I'm literally thinking "Oh crap he's not going to sign this photo and Bart's going to want me to ask him again later" But to my surprise he looks at me and says "You have the most beautiful smile and proceeds to sketch a portrait of me". At this point I'm frozen in shock and embarrassment as he keeps looking at me. When he asked me my name I for a moment totally forget it. After I stammer it out he says "That sounds very Irish". He finishes my portrait signs by Bono and hands it back to me.
I then notice how he proceeds to make human connections with many of the people in line. He joked with some kids who were going to their first concert that he hopes he doesn't disappoint them, he brought a girl in a wheel chair who obviously had cerebral Palsy out of the barricades got down on her level talked to her and then took a picture with her. It was very refreshing to see some genuineness in a celebrity.
So I've been star struck. Who knows maybe I'll go get one of those life sized posters of Bono and stand him up in my living room. OK so maybe not but if U2 comes back to town I'm for sure getting tickets!
WOW! What an amazing experience. I bet you will never forget that.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome!
ReplyDeleteLove this! :)
ReplyDelete