Thursday, January 27, 2011

Put your 4 year old in charge....

and your birthday turns out perfect.
Emily constantly talks about birthdays, especially what she is going to do on her birthday. So when the topic came up that my birthday was approaching she got all excited and started making plans.
Being inspired by the Max and Ruby book "Bunny Cakes" Emily wanted to surprise me with an Angel Surprise Birthday Cake just like Ruby made for her grandma in the book. I think we were both relieved that we felt the same way about Max's Earthworm Cake. That was out of the question to make. Yucky!!

Initially Emily wanted to make it with her dad so I wouldn't see it until it was done but when I explained that daddy wouldn't be home to help she decided it could still be a surprise if I helped. At fresh market she discovered the Valentine's isle and was delighted to find the perfect decorations for the cake, "Sweethearts" We returned home from the store with a cake mix, powder sugar, sprinkles and the sweethearts ready to make the cake.
Together we baked the cake, mixed up the frosting and frosted it. Just as we were going to decorate it Bart called me from Park City with an emergency and needed photo's ordered from Sam's Club ASAP. So I left Emily alone in the kitchen with a freshly frosted cake. While I was frantically working on ordering the photos online Emily came in and asked how old I was turning. Still concentrating on the task at hand, I absentmindedly told her 33 and she left again. A little while later I returned to the kitchen and to my amazement and surprise Emily had decorated the cake all by herself using all 3 boxes of sweethearts. She had even rummaged through the drawer that holds candles and found two 3's to make 33. How she knew that two 3's make 33 is a mystery to me. We took it to Sunday Dinner at Bart's parents house and everyone there told Emily what a good job she did. She proudly responded with "I know".
I loved the cake and especially all the love that went into it. Thanks Emily for your thoughtfulness on my special day!!!

3 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart!!! So glad she made your day special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did a wonderful job decorating it. I think she may be one of the smartest 4-year olds I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed! I thought for sure I was going to read about her frosting the table, chairs, etc. Then I realized we weren't talking about my child. :) How fun to have your little girl take such good care of you!

    ReplyDelete