Saturday, July 8, 2023

impressive

 Aaron's such an impressive guy.     He is Mr. capable in everything he does.   Even right now he's sizzling up some bacon and waffles for lunch because he didn't want a plain ol' turkey sandwich I told him I'd make him for lunch.    One day he wanted some cash to head up to Harmon's so I asked him to clean up a very messy kitchen.    He did such an impressive job I was over the top thankful I didn't have to go behind him.   

Last fall he was hanging out at his friends house.  I asked Bart who was on his way home taking Jane somewhere to stop by and get him.   The dad said the boys had let to go to another's friends house in the neighborhood and then that boys dad said they took off a while ago to head to the grocery store.   After driving around the area where the grocery store was he finally spotted the boys coming out of Arby's.   Neither of us were mad at him because we like our kids to have the same freedom we had as kids but we decided it was time to invest in a Gabb watch so we could track him down easily.   He got one for Christmas and he's impressed me with all well he takes care of it and it responsible to call and check in with us when he's off with his friends.   

He's friend Cole lives near a pond that Sandy City stocks with fish.   I'm impressed with how self-sufficient he is with fishing.  Especially how he has a dad who can hardly stand it when I make myself a tuna fish sandwich let alone go out on a smelly pond and catch those disgusting things.   He enjoys watching you tube fishing videos and is often begging me for a ride to Wal mart for more bate and tackle.   Cole's mom sent this picture of the gang grilling up their latest catch.  





It's impressive that I never have to bother him about good hygiene.  He is quick to shower when he feels slightly icky and cares a whole lot about how he looks and his hair.    He continues to love and sport tights with shorts and a hoody.   He has to be convinced on a warm day that he can ditch the tights and occasionally will do so.  After a student barber cut off most of his tiny Padawan braid he was trying desperately to grow, he gave up that dream and moved onto keeping the top long so he could style the front.   


He carefully gelled and even blow dried it just perfect each day.  Then out of the blue he told me he wanted a buzz cut because he was sick of the time it was taking him in the morning to get ready.    We headed for the salon and he chose a military haircut and commented how he now doesn't have to wake up early and can get up and be ready and out the door in 15 minutes flat



Now that it's grown out a little he spikes the whole top and I tease him he belongs in some 80's kids movie.  




Aaron impresses me with his knowledge of all things sports and star wars.    He's always game to watch and talk sports with his dad as well as chase celebrities coming through town.  Aaron had such a great time with Bart during the All star weekend as was tickled pink that he ran into John Stockton and boldly asked him to sign his Jazz hat and successfully got the autograph of one of the hard nose signers of all time. 


  Here he is with Hayden Christensen who played Anakin Skywalker.  



Aaron might not love school but he is impressively good at academics and socializing.  He has lots of friends.  I've heard through the mother grape vine he is quite the ladies man and has a few girls with crushes on my tall handsome boy.  During the end of school year dance I heard a few bold younger ones chanting Aaron as he sported some hot pink shades.  



He volunteered to be a junior coach this year and enjoyed helping younger students participate in Playworks during P.E.  


This year on his minor league he is one of the oldest players.   It's impressive to watch him take the leadership role of the team.   As the catcher he is often calling out directions such as "balls in" "straight down the line" etc.   Aaron gets his teammates energy up and cheering with chants like "battle baby battle" that will stick in my head the rest of the day.    He's taught me phrases like hitting a triple (making it to 3rd base off your hit) and popping a digger (hitting it far into the outfield).   I've loved seeing him hit lots of diggers.  I think he secretly loves it when he is up to bat and the other teams coach wave to their outfielders to back up.   He's had like 3 or 4 grand slams.  There's nothing like watching your child smile as he crosses the home plate with the whole team ecstatic about the play.    He's pitched a few times and has quite the arm on him.   Aaron is still working on accuracy, but the speed of his pitch throws off many batters that when he pitches a strike, they often can't hit it.   












I was impressed that Aaron despite not having the best experience with the All star team last year decided to try out again.    Both Bart and I reminded him that there would most likely be the same favoritism as last year with a coach who choices most of his team.  Aaron didn't shy away from the challenge and showed incredible sportmanship and encouragement with his teammates.   He told me many times I'm ok being the left middle bench guy.   His attitude shone bright on the team and I saw a him grow in maturity and confidence.  He moved up to third on the batting line from always getting on his base the first couple of games, hit bombs to the outfield resulting a couple of triples and successfully stole home.   Once the outfielder caught it and Aaron was out but after the game the coach recognized him for being the only one who didn't cry when he got out.    The coach also let him pitch after the 2 main pitchers had maxed out their pitch count and he was beaming with excitement when he threw the last pitch and struck the guy out and the game was over.   Once again the team were the tournament champions not losing any of their games.  












I'm impressed that Aaron has taken over mowing the lawn.    He isn't always thrilled to do it and needs some nudging from his dad but he always comes through as dependable Aaron 


My marriage has greatly improved since I stopped giving Bart honey do lists and instead enlisted Aaron and youtube to help figure out small plumbing problems such as cleaning out clogged drains,  changing shower heads and fixing leaky toilets.   




He takes a lot of pride in his room and shows he personality through his LED lights and Mandalorian posters.   



But most of all I'm impressed that I can call him my buddy because I'm his biggest fan. 





No comments:

Post a Comment