Monday, March 6, 2023

Born ready

 I was ready to leave somewhere with Aaron and yelled "Aaron are you ready?"  Spencer hearing this came running and said "ready?   I was born ready."    

Spencer continues to always keep us on our toes and entertained.     He is quite the loved youngest child who is quick to smile, laugh, hug and love all of us.   With the constant stream of snow storms and random days off we've spent more than usual being cooped up inside.   One day while he was playing hide and seek around the house with his friends, he discovered he can get up on the standing freezer and hide.  He also decided it was quite cozy up there.   He showed me his new "spot" and declared that "tomorrow I am going to spend the entire day up here."     When I woke up the next morning I found him like this....


    
    Forts are always best with lots of pillows and blankets and this was no exception.  He thoroughly enjoyed being up by the stock of chips and other than occasionally coming down for water he spent most of the morning snuggling with pillows, blankets and an Ipad for entertainment.

        Spencer speaks his mind.  I wonder if everything that enters his head comes out his mouth.  He has been a handful at school lately.   At parent teacher conference I was informed that he is good about completing his work each day but he is disruptive because he shouts out how boring he thinks the work is and how he hates doing it.   I got a call one day from the Principal saying Spencer was in a para educators group and told her that he doesn't have to do anything she says because she is not the boss of him. He is the boss of himself.   She marched him right down to the Principals office and she told me she had a good discussion with him about how a leader is a person who is an example of positivity in speech and doing hard things even when that person doesn't want to.  She set some goals with him to stop whistling at the rug and keeping the negative thoughts to himself so he doesn't disrupt others wanting to work.     

He's the same outspoken self in primary.  While I was subbing I got first hand experience of this.   The song leader announced they would sing the song "When we are helping we are happy."  Spencer blurts out I'm not happy when I'm helping.   He also likes to inform his primary teachers each week about how boring primary is.   Interesting enough he is the same kid who at home during come follow me lessons retells in detail everything he learned in primary.   After church on the day he announced he is not happy when he helps he kept singing and whistling that song the rest of the day.   When I tucked him in he asked to sing it and said I've had this song in my head all day.   He then surprised me by saying I love helping you mama.   It makes me so happy.   I don't know why he seeks the negative attention in big groups he gets plenty of attention from us.   Prayers for extra patience for all his teachers in his life and prayers that the constant talks we give him about finding the positive instead of the boring or at least keeping it to yourself will sink in.  

    One day last week Bart and I were on our way out the door to work.  Spencer came down and planted himself on the couch and proceeded to scream and cry about how much he hates school and how he doesn't want to go.  Bart replied I don't want to drive up to a tow yard and work today either but we all have to do things we don't want to do.    That statement didn't help and Spencer just kept on crying and I was more than a little bit happy I was leaving and didn't have to deal with his emotions. He's better if left alone about them anyway.   Fast forward later that afternoon.  Emily and I were in the kitchen after work and school and Jane walked in from being dropped off by carpool.   She immediately noticed Emily was wearing her shoes and said "I knew you took them this morning even though you texted me that is was a don't wear shoes to school day".      She then said that after you left I went downstairs to Emily's room to find her shoes and after I gave up I came up the stairs crying.  Spencer was still on the couch whimpering about having to go to school and looked at her and stopped and said "Why are you crying?"   Jane said she replied because I can't find my shoes and I don't have any to wear.  Spencer forgetting his woes jumped off the couch and declared I can find you some shoes and promptly found her 2 different pairs of she and Emily's converse shoes.  Jane told him she really wanted to wear her white vans but she's mad because Emily took them to wear to school.  Spencer replied "You should hide them.  I can help you hide them I have a box."

Jane and Spencer playing the don't let the balloon drop game


Oh Spencer how can we not love you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment