Monday, February 24, 2020

YW overnighter

I'm near the Bishops office at church last fall bidding my time until the Bishop emerged so I could get him to sign some reimbursement slips.  I''m talking to a couple fellows in my ward about how the church's program without scouts really levels the ground between YM vs. YW.  I mention how nice it would be to do some of the high adventure things the young men get to do and Taylor Norquist said "I'd be happy to take the Young Women up to my parents cabin in the Uintah's sometime this winter if you think the young women would like it."  Heck yeah the young women would be all over it so an overnight retreat was planned.

We arrived around 7:30 Friday night to a parking lot off the highway piled high with snow.    The only way in was snowmobiles and our feet.  Megan and Taylor piled on the girls sleeping bags onto the sleds behind the snowmobile and the rest of us took off for our mile and a half walk night hike in.   I've never been hiking in the snow in the woods at night but it was a surreal beautiful thing.  We lucked out with it being a warm weekend and most of us were shedding our clothes by the time we made it in.   

We arrived to this beautiful huge warm cabin with hot chocolate simmering on the stove and we settled in.  Jane who is in shape from all her sports participating was surprisingly whining on the trek in while Emily was the leader of the pack.   It all made sense once we got settled in and Jane started crying that her stomach hurt really bad and then started to throw up.  We quarantined ourselves in the back bedroom while the other played some games.  Jane ended up throwing up all night long but after sleeping in while the others ate breakfast and participated in a leadership training she emerged ready for some fun.



Fun we did have as we snowmobiled to a perfect sledding hill and enjoyed ourselves.   The fresh crisp mountain air and blue sunny skies was just what we all needed for a mid winter pick me up.  We came back to the cabin for lunch and some tubbing behind the snowmobile.  Most of the girls favorite part of the weekend was the tubing.    I gave it a whirl and agreed it was a blast.   They could have done that all day but soon it was time to clean up and hike back out to the cars so we could get home before dinner.   












1 comment:

  1. Heck yeah the YW like high adventures!!! This sounds like a fantastic one.

    ReplyDelete