Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Love Language

I've recently been listening to the book "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman for bookclub.    Occasionally my kids will be in the car while I listened to it and we will talk a little bit about the different types of love languages.   I discussed with Jane what her love language might be.   It was hard to pin point exactly what she needs to fill up her love tank but it is obvious that Jane likes to give love through gifts to fill everyone else's buckets. 

As soon as Christmas was in the air Jane set out to get presents for each and every one of us.   Traditionally I would have the kids each pick a name of one of their siblings but Jane would never abide by the rule and still got everybody something and then they all felt bad they didn't get something for her in return.  This year it was unanimous vote to give everyone a gift and competitive Jane vowed to be the best at it.     Christmas morning she was all a glow watching everyone open their presents and see their happiness when they received her gift.    Recently she told me getting gifts was ok but that she just really likes to give gifts and that's the best part of Christmas.

She also put forth a lot of effort to make my sorry Bart's in Sundance January birthday special by buying and wrapping up a few presents from her, Spencer, Aaron and Bart.   The day of my birthday I had ward council in the wee Sunday hours and rushed home to get everyone to come back to church and I walked in to streamers and happy birthday sign and the best part a spotless house.  Jane was overly excited about me opening my presents and set out after church to help Emily make the frosting for my cake.

Jane started her Valetine's Day shopping during the after Christmas sales.  She thoughtfully chose each of us a present and then has been helping Aaron and Emily come up with ideas and walks to Harmon's with them to get their shopping done as well.  She's been looking forward to our annual Crepes for dinner Valentines party and walked in from soccer to see the table set up and joyfully ran up the stairs to arrange all her little presents at each's person place setting.

I love that she loves to think about others and makes it appoint to show them through her thoughtful gifts. She makes holidays the best!

1 comment: