Sunday, March 24, 2019

Tuscan Farms- Pisa March 8th


We set off on a bus from Venice and drove to Tuscany where we toured an olive and grape vineyard and then had a wine tasting lunch.   This is the part of the tour that being a latter day saint wasn't too thrilling but a least we were sober enough to remember the place.     

The tour guide showed us how they make olive oil.  I got a little confused during the demonstration.  I'm not sure if I just didn't understand enough about olives or the Italian accent was a little too thick but I got that you want extra virgin oil for some reason and first pressed olive oil is amazing, or maybe first press isn't good.  Like I said I was confused.  The farm was beautiful the sun was out and as Bart sat on a bench waiting he said "This is as close to my beach vacation as I'm going to get isn't it?"










 They treated us to a "wine tasting" light lunch.  I expected lots of wine and some bread and cheese.  I was nicely surprised with a fresh pasta dish and instead of wine Fanta.  I fell in love with their Balsamic Vinegar.    It was so sweet, tangy and very satisfying.  By far the best part of the vineyard!!




On the bus again we went and made our way to Pisa where we took the expected leaning tower photos.  Bart would like it mentioned he was way better and framing the photo than the rest of us.









Bart and I decided to climb up to the top of the tower.  It was a strange feeling ascending the round marble staircase that was on a tilt.  It made me a little woozy but nowadays that doesn't take much.




















 We then made our way to Florence where it was set down the bags and off to find this restaurant John had eaten on his last trip.    It's a wonder we found it with cobblestone streets that look the same.  Although the way the window shopping was entertaining to say the least. 


 We finally found it and sat down and enjoyed a wonderful meal at this quant place.



On the way back from Pisa our tour guide talked a little bit about Tuscan foods.   She mentioned the Florence steak specialty but at 4 Euro's a gram it was way to pricey to try.  Instead she tempted my taste buds talking about Ribollita soup.  She said Tuscan wives take some vegetables from their garden and simmer it together in the morning with spices and then again right before the husband would come in from the farm and serve it over bread.   It wasn't much too look at but the flavors were amazing.  I'd definitely recommend this dish if you are ever in Florence and can find this restaurant.








No comments:

Post a Comment