Saturday, November 12, 2016

DIY projects

Emily's school class was given a challenge to go a full week unplugged.    A few days into it she said at school a group was talking and a lot of them said "I tried but I just can't do it.  It's way too hard"    Emily said "It's weird I don't think it's been that bad".  That was music to a mom's ears.

My ears heard music but my house was a sight for sore eyes.  Talk about messy messy  as Emily went from project to project throughout the week keeping herself busy.    I took a deep breath and remembered my mom's sage advice "Just remember you can always clean up a mess later but you can't develop their minds later."

I say that to myself often when the craft closet doors open wide and the glitter, glue, fabric, thread, clay, paper and paint emerge.   Here's a few of the projects Emily's completed these past few months.

Last summer I "encouraged" Emily that if she read something other than Diary of a Wimpy kid I would buy her a bookshelf for her room.  Soon after Emily finished whatever the book was we found the perfect bookshelf for her room.  Raquel  got involved and inspired her to redecorate her room.  Emily wanted to paint her bookshelf and nightstand a fun new mint color.







Emily also started watching youtube diy videos.  She convinced me to buy some moldable clay you bake in the oven so she could enter the PTA reflections contest.

Here was her 3D art submission.  We both just love how the Harry Potter book charm came out.



Since then she's been a molding fool.  Jane and Emily are constantly playing with their calico critters.  They set up houses and villages and she soon discovered clay is the perfect product for making toy food, small doll houses and other things for their calico critters.







She also made a lovely mess one day making her very own Lip Gloss.




How about a homemade Teddy Bear for her Dolls


She also stitched this CTR and made it into a pillow in activity days.     


And some other creations she felt were picture worthy





 Heaven help this house and my sanity as this creative child of mine continues to develop.  In fact today she told me she's thinking that she doesn't need any toys for Christmas.  Maybe just lots of crafting stuff.


Oh well what can I expect she genetically predisposed to make things coming from many lines of very creative and productive women.







3 comments:

  1. I love her furniture re-do. Your mom also has great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot, my laziness often wins out because I know I will be asked to help. These are amazing projects.

    ReplyDelete