Thursday, August 11, 2016

Days of '47 week

It started out as a quiet week with very little on our agenda.  Then on

Monday we got a call from Suzanne asking if we'd like to meet her at the South Town Expo center for the "Day's of '47 floats preview".  We had just a little bit of time while Aaron was at his arts and crafts class and the girls, Spencer and I headed met up with a few cousins.  I'd have to say walking around the floats in a nice air conditioned building seeing all the incredible floats each with either candy or games for the kids was way more fun than the actual parade.



Tuesday:   We are finally able to join a group "Take a hike Tuesday" that is headed up by a few ladies in the ward.  The plan was to go to the Temple Quarry site.  I had never even heard of this place but I liked the history behind it as well as a paved path which was great for the stroller.  I attempted to explain the significance of the place and show my kids some of the chisel marks where actual pioneers carved out the granite for the temple.  My kids were mostly interested in climbing all the many huge boulders.








Wednesday:  Emily and I attended an activity days at the Lion House.  First they took us on a tour of the entire house and talked about how life ran back in Brigham Young's day.  Did you know that for each meal they made enough food to feed 70 people.  That was also during the time when if you wanted chicken for dinner you'd go cut off the head of one running around a pen.  I guess I can't complain about cooking for my family of 6 with Harmon's a block away.  Then the girls played some pioneer games, pulled taffy, and ate a light dinner and cake.  Emily loved it and said she wants to have a birthday party there.









Friday:  My girls have been complaining that they haven't gone to any parades this whole summer.  So I kind of invited my family along with Suzanne's to attend the Handcart Days parade in Bountiful. She ever so graciously not only let us come along but made a fabulous chicken salad w/ croissants dinner.  I stopped by to visit Mary's Millie as we call her around here and loaded up the older boys to come along.  The kids had fun and each scored a super big shirt.  Since Jane will only sleep in ratty old big t shirts both Emily and Aaron gave there's to her and now Jane is set for a year with PJ's.




Sunday:  We are walking to church and Emily exclaims I totally forgot about my talk mom.  Oh well I say lets make one up now.  What's the topic?  "I love to see the temple" said Emily.    Hmmm what should you talk about I said?  Emily then said "Well it is pioneer day today so I could share how Brigham Young told people to build the temple when they got here and it took 40 years to build it"  "Perfect" I said and then we talked and Emily gave a very sweet talk about how it was so important for the pioneers to have a temple that they kept working for 40 years and it should be important to us.  She also said at night she loves to look our her window at the Draper Temple and it makes her happy and excited to go there someday.


It was a great week filled with ways to remember the Pioneer's and their lives.




Happy Pioneer Day!!!




2 comments:

  1. We had so much fun with you at the parade float preview and then at the parade. We may have to check out that temple quarry...I want to go on some hikes with the kids in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week! I'm with you - seeing the floats while in an air conditioned building sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete