One of the reasons I love to go to Teasdale is it encourages independent play. I see Facebook articles about the problem with kids growing up without playing outdoors and I think it's because we no longer as a society send our kids out to play all by themselves so they can learn to imagine and think.
In Teasdale you still can!! This year Emily is old and responsible enough to be trusted driving the 4 wheeler by herself. We set up some ground rules that she could go over 12 MPH and had to stick to a trail that circles up around the field. Emily has proven to be a very good driver. I saw a leap of confidence in her as she backed out from the deck and heard Grandpa Dick said "Emily sure knows how to drive that thing"
One activity I noticed the girls doing was playing Taxi. Bentley, Emily and Jane set up a hut in the trees next to the 4 wheeler trail. Emily would take off on the 4 wheeler and slowly circle around and come back. As she drove up either Bentley or Jane would run to the trail and say "Taxi please" and off Emily would take that girl on a ride while the other stayed behind. Sometimes Emily would get off to play for a while before setting off to take the next girl on a ride. They did this for hours. I know this will be one of the memories my kids will take with them about how much fun summers were in Teasdale.

Love everything about this!
ReplyDelete