Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The bright side

In our house we like this book "It Could have Been Worse."  It's basically about a mouse who is on his journey home and runs into a series of mishaps, getting bruised, soaked and covered in prickles.  What he doesn't realize is all of his mishaps saved him from predators that were after him.    One time when Bart was going through a hard time he said "I keep thinking about how it's like that book "It could be worse".  

Well I had one of those weeks last week.  

1.  I dyed my hair back to blonde and in the process it's progressively gone a weird shade of orange.  It's a good think I have brutally honest sisters who tell me how bad it looks and a niece Bentley who said "Collette did you dye your hair blondish orange".  Apparently that happens sometimes but it could have been worse, it's fixable and all of my hair could have fallen out.

2.  Jane being the wonderful daughter dusted my steps.  In the process she used a little too much wood polish which dripped on the the floors and caused my wood floors to turn into an ice skating rink.  I discovered this as I took a hard fall.  My bum was a little bruised for a few days but what was more devastating was my phone took the fall with me and cracked the screen pretty bad.   It could have been worse my phone still works, although visibility is poor, and there were no trips to the hospital.

3.  While I was putting my keys in my purse my key to the Pilot snapped in half.    Yeah for the replacement being over a hundred dollars.  It could have been worse because luckily I was driving the civic at the time and wasn't stranded at the SLP staff meeting.

4.  I got deathly ill on the drive home from that same staff meeting.  As soon as I got home I spend a lot of time "praying to the porcelain god".   I was so blessed that Bart arrived home a couple hours later and took over chasing our 18 month old terrorizer around.    As I was lying in bed with my stomach turning I ironically felt this overwhelming sense of gratitude.  First that it could have been worse and it was Monday morning and I'd be home by myself still having to chase Aaron around.  Second that it could have been worse and  it would have struck the next weekend and would have put a damper on Emily's baptism.  Lastly I knew it would go away in a day or two and it could have been worse and I was pregnant feeling this way for the next 4 months.  

1 comment:

  1. Love this post - reminds me of Pres. Uchtdorf's conference talk about gratitude!

    ReplyDelete