Nona was in charge of her stake's dinner social that they held right before the General Women's meeting for the church. Since the age was expanded to 8 and up, She invited Emily and I to go (shh.. don't tell that Emily is still only 7 for a couple more weeks). Emily was so excited that Nona invited her to a party. She got even more excited when I told her we would ride Trax up to downtown. It was so wonderful to get to spend a few hours giving my full attention to Emily. Emily taught me a finger game on the train ride up that was totally new to me and which Emily smoked me every time. We then hurried over to Nona's stake center that was right behind the conference center and had a lovely dinner. Emily was wide eyed that the dessert table that had the biggest variety of treats she had ever seen. As we were eating dinner I had this thought that since we were so close to the Conference Center we should go stand in the standby line and see if we could get in. We hurried across the street and as I stopped to ask an usher where the standby line was a lady walked by and offered us 2 extra tickets that she had. We gladly accepted and shuffled in. Emily was amazed at the awesomeness of the building. She stood in awe at the big wall size painting of Christ in America.

It was a very special moment when the 1st speaker had all the 8-10 year olds stand and sing the 1st verse of "Teach me to Walk". Emily was all smiles and whispered "This is my favorite song". I absolutely loved hearing so many women's voices join in and sing the 2nd verse. After the meeting I was talking to Emily about how she felt and mentioned how I really felt the spirit when they sang that song. Emily said "I felt it too then but then it got really boring". I guess she is only 8 after all.
When the meeting was over we walked around temple square and worked our way into Deseret Book to pick out what type of Scripture's Emily wanted for her baptism. We then went to Godiva's Chocolates and picked out some truffles to share with everyone in our family, boarded the train and sped home.
I hope the church keeps this meeting the same and we can make it a tradition that will soon include Jane.

I love that she was able to go to this! And I love that you guys played around at the mall, so that she could get some Mom alone time
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool! And so sweet of the sister who shared her extra tickets with you. Good timing!
ReplyDeleteI was there with my mom and one of her friends. Interestingly enough, she mentioned the time you came with us and wondered if you were there again. Now I can tell her you were - and with your daughter! I am jealous.
ReplyDelete