Monday, August 26, 2013

My Grandma, Anxiously Engaged in a Good Cause

My Grandma Morrell passed away recently.  Although it is hard to think of the world without my Grandma in it,  I am so happy the suffering is over and she is back home with her parents and most of her siblings.   She has an incredibly close and loving family so the reunion must be very sweet!!

My Grandma and Grandpa dancing at Allyson's wedding 

Lawana Turner in High School


With all of the emotions I felt this past week I've enjoyed thinking about all the sweet memories of my Grandma.    When I entered her house she always welcomed me with a warm smile, hug and a big kiss on the lips (don't even think she'd ever let any of us avoid the kiss.)  Her house was so wonderful!  It was always so clean, smelled and felt like heaven and had beautiful music from the Manti Station always playing.  I could always count on  oreos in the cupboard and  Schwanns Ice cream bars in the freezer.  I remember how she had this  walk in bedroom closet under the stairs.  It was full of amazing things and once in a while she would emerge with a special present like a  little notebook, lipgloss or a small jewelry box, just to name a few.  I loved cooking with her and  when she would set up a TV dinner stand in the family room along with a box of crayons and a fresh coloring book. She made the best tuna melts and would pull out the bread board and sit next to me and talk to me while I ate my lunch.  I remember staying with her once while my parents were on a vacation.  The day before my parents came home she spent it giving all of us girls home perms.  We all felt like models showing my mom our new stylish hair.   

Allyson, Mary Jane and I licking the bowl
after helping my Grandma make a chocolate cake
Coloring in her family room on one
of her TV Dinner Stands

My Grandma and I on my 4th birthday!
She knit me this purse that I loved and took to church for a few years
  
Grandma was very close to the spirit and always willing to follow Christ.  She had a picture of Jesus Christ in every room, loved to read the scriptures and had bookshelves full of church books.  She believed in the power of prayer.  In fact right after I got my mission call to Indiana I called her up and the first thing she said was "Oh that is so wonderful I've been praying that you would stay state side and be safe".  The next couple of months as I was preparing to serve and being called to stay in the United States I would often get consoling comments as if staying stateside was something awful.  I would just reply "There really wasn't another option my Grandma prayed I'd stay in America and her prayers are always answered."

In this cynical selfish world, she has shown me that  true happiness comes from willingly giving one's time and talents to the Lord.    There was never an idol moment in her life.  She was always cooking and doing things for those in need.  Allyson shared a story about talking with one of the girls in her class from school who was from Bicknell.  Somehow in the conversation it came up that Allyson's Grandma was Lawana Morrell.  This girl in Elementary school got excited and said "Really I just love Sister Morrell once I was sick she brought be the nicest little present. 

I've always admired my Grandma Morrell's genuine kindness to others.   If there was anyone who should write the book "How to Win Friends and Influence Others"  it was her.  She was so interested in everyone and took the time to show it.  In return she had so many friends and people who loved her. She always made an effort to be the first to greet and talk to anyone.   Once I was visiting in St. George and this kind lady stopped by to deliver the mail.  My grandma invited the lady in and introduced her to me telling me the nicest things about this lady.  It was like my Grandma was introducing me to the Queen of England.   I tend to be more reserved and am content to sit on the back row and not reach out to others.  Sometimes when I find myself in this situation I'll think to myself "You know your happier when your more friendly so turn on your Grandma Morrell and talk to that person".   I never heard my Grandma talk bad about anyone instead she always had something positive.  When Bart and I were first married and we were driving away from visiting she and my grandpa in St. George Bart commented "Your Grandma is a neat lady.  She always has something good to say about anything.  I'm sure if she woke up one morning and found a pile of poo on her doorstep she'd find something good to say about that too.  

I will forever be grateful for the thoughtfulness and encouragement my Grandma gave to me.    Although she always gave the most thoughtful gifts and never missed an important date, what I remember the most about those presents was the words of encouragement and love she always wrote in her cards.  She just didn't give you a card she gave you a letter in the card as well. That added personal touch always made me feel like I was measuring up in my Grandma's eyes.  Even now when I was scanning the picture of me coloring on the TV Dinner stand on the back it said "Collette painting a picture at Grandma and Grandpa's house while mom and dad were in Salt Lake"---pretty little girl-----

Even though I'm grown now I often think how someday I hope to be just like my Grandma"  


Have you ever noticed the cement box that the casket is buried in?  I hadn't either  until I saw this one.  Bruce the funeral director is my mom's cousin and he said he decorated it in pink because he knew Aunt Lawana would like it.



1 comment:

  1. She's so inspiring. What a great lady. And sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete