Friday, December 23, 2011

Sad, Sad, Day


Last week, while walking home from taking Emily to school, Jane complained that her toes were hurting. I knew this day would come that she would grow out of her all time favorite "Sarah's shoes" (see picture) which were given to her by Bart's very giving sister Sarah. For a long time I would only let Jane wear them to church or if she had an extra special outfit or outing. I did finally give up the battle and Jane started wearing them everywhere.
I inconspicuously put them in the "too little" box which worked for a couple of days. The other morning as I pulled out some boots to put on Jane she said "I want to wear my Sarah shoes" I couldn't lie so I said they are too little so they are gone. The look on her face almost tore my heart in two and she said in the most desperate voice "But where did they go" I repeated my answer and her voice became even more desperate "BUT WHERE ARE THEY MOMMA" then she paused and stated, before the tears came, "I am sad. This is a sad day"



(I'm almost tempted to show her the pair of the same shoes, I have stashed away, that Sarah gave Emily but I know she'll demand to wear them and they are way to big. But someday, as her feet grow, the joy will return)

2 comments:

  1. A girl and her shoes - one of our earliest loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that she loved those shoes that much! She did get good use out of them. This picture of her is adorable as well!

    ReplyDelete